The days are getting shorter, which means it’s time for the annual Gilmore Girls rewatch! These Gilmore Girls quotes will remind you why you should definitely start from season 1 to experience the entire storyline.
Gilmore Girls premiered on The WB in 2000 and ran for seven seasons, following the lives of mother-daughter duo Lorelai and Rory Gilmore. The show begins with 16-year-old Rory being accepted to the prestigious Chilton Preparatory School. This news delights her mother, Lorelai, but puts a strain on their finances, as the family can’t afford Chilton’s hefty tuition. Fortunately, Rory’s grandfather Richard and grandmother Emily agree to pay for her schooling on one condition: that she have dinner with them once a week.
Rory and Lorelai have a contentious relationship with Richard and Emily throughout the series, but they eventually develop a close bond with Rory’s extended family. Along the way, Rory also has relationships with the “first boyfriend” Dean, writer/bad boy Jess Mariano, and wealthy Logan Huntzberger. Meanwhile, Lorelai deals with her own romantic entanglements.
For many people, Gilmore Girls is just a television show. It’s something to watch when you’re bored or need some background noise. But for the rest of us, Gilmore Girls is so much more than that. It’s a way of life, and that’s not even being overdramatic! Seriously: a fall rewatch of Gilmore Girls is simply a must.
One of the things that make Gilmore Girls so special is the characters. Lorelai and Rory Gilmore are two strong, opinionated women who are also kind, caring, and fiercely loyal to each other. They’re not perfect—they make mistakes and hurt each other from time to time—but they always end up forgiving each other and moving forward. That’s something that resonates with a lot of people.
Lorelai is also a fantastic mother, at least in my opinion. She might not have planned on having Rory when she was sixteen, but she did the best she could and ensured that Rory always had everything she needed, even if it meant making sacrifices herself. And Rory is an equally amazing daughter. She’s intelligent, driven, and knows exactly what she wants out of life. She’s also loyal and considerate, always thinking of her mother first, even when she doesn’t necessarily agree with her.
The Relationship Between Lorelai and Rory
Another thing that makes Gilmore Girls so special is the relationship between Lorelai and Rory. They’re best friends and mother and daughter, and they can tell each other anything without judgment or worry about hurting each other’s feelings. They’re able to have frank conversations about sex, men, work, family—anything and everything—and they know that at the end of the day, they’ll still love each other unconditionally. That kind of relationship is rare, both on television and in real life, which is why it resonates with so many viewers.
The Town of Stars Hollow
Last but not least, there’s the town of Stars Hollow itself. Everyone knows each other and looks out for each other, and even though there are conflicts from time to time, they always come together when it really matters. That sense of community is something else that speaks to viewers and makes them fall in love with Gilmore Girls.
Gilmore Girls is more than just a television show; it’s a way of life for many people. The characters are relatable and likable, the relationship between Lorelai and Rory is enviable, and the town of Stars Hollow is the kind of close-knit community we all wish we could be a part of.
And for many of us, we just can’t move on with the quotes from the show. The dialogue is sharp and often witty, but it also touches on more serious matters. As a result, Gilmore Girls provides viewers with funny and thought-provoking quotes.
Whether you’re looking for a laugh or some food for thought, you’re sure to find a quote from Gilmore Girls that resonates with you. Here are 75+ Gilmore Girl quotes that will make you want to rewatch the show.
Gilmore Girls Quotes
Here are some of our absolute favorite Gilmore Girls quotes that you simply can’t forget!
Lorelei Gilmore Quotes
Lorelei was born in Hartford, Connecticut, to two wealthy parents, Richard and Emily Gilmore. When Lorelei was sixteen, she became pregnant with Rory and ran away from home to avoid an arranged marriage. Lorelei moved to Stars Hollow, Connecticut, where she raised Rory on her own. Throughout the show, we watch Lorelei raises Rory while navigating her complicated relationship with her parents.
Lorelei is an intelligent and quick-witted woman. She is also very resourceful. For example, when Rory needs money for college, Lorelei finds a way to get it without asking her parents for help. One of the things I love about Lorelei is that she is not afraid to be herself. She is comfortable in her skin and knows who she is.
So without further ado: our favorite Lorelai Gilmore quotes!
1. “That’s not fair, the cake doesn’t have legs.”
2. “I don’t like Mondays, but unfortunately they come around, eventually.”
3. “Solidarity, sister.”
4. (Walking into Luke’s) “Give me a burger, onion rings, and a list of people who killed their parents and got away with it. I need some heroes.”
5. “Yes, I left behind a glass slipper and a business card. Just in case the prince is really dumb.”
6. “Hey, I have a New Year’s resolution for you: Become more cynical and self-absorbed.”
7. “You know my babbling capabilities are infinite.”
8. “I love pudding. I worship it. I have a bowl up on the mantel at home with the Virgin Mary, a glass of wine, and a dollar bill next to it.”
9. “Oh yes, it was beautiful in there. We should commemorate it with an oil painting or a severed head or something.”
10. “You’re full of hate and loathing, and I gotta tell you — I love it!”
11. “You can’t watch Willy Wonka without massive amounts of junk food.”
12. “I need coffee in an IV.”
13. “Hey, tomorrow, if you have time, I’m planning on despising everyone who says, ‘Hey, how’s it going?'”
14. “I’m not broken. Maybe just a little chipped.”
15. “My mother is fast asleep in my bed, clutching my Hello Kitty pillow, and yes, I have pictures.”
16. “If you’re going to throw your life away, he’d better have a motorcycle.”
17. “There’s plenty to do tonight that we can be mortified about tomorrow.”
18. “You have to sleep, it’s what keeps you pretty.”
19. “I need caffeine. Whatever form you’ve got it. I haven’t had any all day. I’ll drink it, shoot it, eat it, snort it, whatever form it’s in, gimme.”
20. “Everything’s magical when it snows.”
21. “There have been very few moments in my life where I have actually wished I had one of those enormous creme pies you can just smash in somebody’s face. But this is definitely one of them.”
22. “I need caffeine. Whatever form you’ve got it. I haven’t had any all day. I’ll drink it, shoot it, eat it, snort it, whatever form it’s in, gimme.”
23. “As long as everything is exactly the way I want it, I’m totally flexible.”
24. “Life’s been pretty good to you. It was your turn for a few curveballs. Peaks and valleys, kid.”
25. “If eating cake is wrong, I don’t want to be right.”
26. “I’m afraid that once your heart’s involved, it all comes out in moron.”
27. “If it was physically possible to make love to a hot beverage, this would be the one.”
28. “Reality has no place in our world.”
29. “I am attracted to pie, but I do not feel the need to date pie.”
30. “You have so many years of screw-ups ahead of you.”
31. “Nothing says coffee like six in the morning!”
32. “I even cleaned the table using something other than the sleeve of my sweater and spit.”
Rory Gilmore Quotes
Rory has her fair share of witty remarks, too. Here are our favorite Gilmore Girls quotes from Rory.
Rory Gilmore is the intelligent, determined, and loyal daughter of Lorelai Gilmore, and she’s the spitting image of her mother. Rory goes through ups and downs throughout the show, but she always comes out on top in the end.
Rory Gilmore goes through many of the same experiences that young people do in real life. Struggling with teenage angst, trying to find where she belongs in the world, and dealing with relationship drama are all things that viewers can relate to. Even though the show ended over ten years ago, fans still love watching reruns and connecting with the characters who feel like old friends.
1. “He’s like the lost Farrelly brother. He’s so stupid. He watched The Breakfast Club and decided to tape his own butt cheeks together.”
2. “I live in two worlds — one is a world of books.”
3. “Oh, I found that if I focus too much on one subject, I start to get a little punchy.”
4. “God, you are like a pop-up book from hell.”
5. “My sock drawer could be a better mother than Courtney Love.”
6. “I’m just a big, fat Wookie-humping loser with no future!”
7. “I cannot do this alone, I need my mommy, and I don’t care who knows it!”
8. “God, you are like a pop-up book from hell.”
9. “I feel like this is my time to be rootless and just see where life takes me and travel wherever there’s a story to write.”
10. “A little nervous breakdown can work wonders for a girl.”
11. “You never socialized me properly. I should hate you right now. Do something to make me hate you.”
12. “I need that outfit. It gives me confidence.”
13. “I can go from zero to studying in less than 60 seconds!”
14. “I’m going to have to quit drinking coffee! And I love coffee — I really love coffee!”
15. “Hey, call me crazy, but I just don’t think that Butterfingers go with jujubes.”
16. “I’m here because I enjoy books and because I read books.”
17. “It’s Avril Lavigne’s world. We’re just living in it.”
18. “I live in two worlds, one is a world of books.”
19. “I can go from zero to studying in less than 60 seconds!”
20. “My books look sad. Can books look sad?”
21. “Oh, do you see the books? Feel it. Feels good, right? Now smell it. Nothing, nothing smells like that.”
22. “I feel like this is my time to be rootless and just see where life takes me and travel wherever there’s a story to write.”
23. “Nothing excites me before 11.”
Gilmore Girls Quotes About Love
We’ve all been there. You know the scene. Lorelai and Rory sit in Luke’s Diner, drinking coffee and eating pie. They are discussing Lorelai’s latest love interest, and Rory asks her mother if she loves him. Lorelai sighs long, drawn-out, saying, “I don’t know. I think so? I don’t know what love is. I mean, I think it’s like… you know how when something really good happens, you want to keep touching it because you can’t believe it’s really happening?”
If you are a fan of Gilmore Girls, then you know that this show is full of relatable quotes about love. In fact, that is one of the things that make the show so great. It captures the complexities of relationships and the ups and downs of dating in a way that is both realistic and relatable.
1. “Oh my god, he kissed me.” (Rory)
2. “I’m afraid that once your heart’s involved, it all comes out in moron.” (Lorelai)
3. “I have liked you for some time now, and I don’t think this feeling is going to go away.” (Lane to Zach)
4. “I love you, you idiot.” (Rory)
5. “But marriage is not about always being happy. It’s about compromise.” (Emily)
6. “Are you ever gonna ask me out? You flirt with me. You act like you like me.” (Rory to Logan)
7. “It’s all any of us wants, to find a nice person to hang out with ’til we drop dead.” (Lorelai)
8. “You jump, I jump, Jack!” (Rory)
9. “It is what it is. You, me.” (Jess to Rory)
10. “This thing we’re doing here — me, you — I just want you know I’m in. I’m all in.” (Luke to Lorelai)
11. “Relationships need verbs.” (Lorelai)
12. “You’re going to kiss me now? So incredibly predictable.” (Lorelai to Luke)
13. “It was a great kiss. If one of us had been a frog, it would have had some seriously impressive consequences.” (Lorelai)
14. “Every relationship is just a big honking leap of faith.” (Rory)
Gilmore Girls Quotes About Family and Friendships
Gilmore Girls shows how complicated and messy these relationships can be. That’s why the show’s quotes about family and friendship are so relatable. The show portrays the challenges and rewards of being close to someone. And how even the strongest relationships can be tested.
These Gilmore Girls quotes also highlight the importance of communication and compromise, which are essential for any lasting friendship or family bond. Gilmore Girls is unique in capturing both the joys and the struggles of these important relationships.
1. “It’s always best to tell each other major life events, so there’s no awkwardness.” (Emily)
2. “Mom, you’ve given me everything I need.” (Rory)
3. “No men. Just lots and lots of Chinese food.” (Paris)
4. “I don’t know if she ever realized the person I most wanted to be was her.” (Rory)
5. “It’s my responsibility as your best friend to make sure you do exciting things even when don’t want to.” (Sookie)
6. “I cannot do this alone, I need my mommy, and I don’t care who knows it.” (Rory)
7. “Did you ever know that you’re my hero?” (Lorelai to Rory)
8. “Having babies doesn’t mean you can’t be rock and roll!” (Zack to Lane)
Gilmore Girls Quotes About Life
Gilmore Girls depicts everyday life. They are about the ups and downs of life, the good times and the bad times. And they are about how we all have to find our way in life. Gilmore Girls is a show that is all about relationships.
And the quotes about life in Gilmore Girls reflect that. They are about family, friends, and love. They are about the things that make us laugh and the things that make us cry. They are about life itself. The quotes about life in Gilmore Girls remind us that, no matter what happens in our lives, we always have each other. And that is what makes them so special.
1. “Reality has no place in our world!” (Lorelai)
2. “It’s times like these that you realize what is *truly* important in your life.” (Miss Patty)
3. “You know what I just realized? Oy is the funniest word in the entire world.” (Lorelai)
4. “We’re almost there & nowhere near it. All that matters is that we’re going!” (Lorelai)
5. “You have to sleep, it’s what keeps you pretty.” (Lorelai)
6. “Life’s short. Talk fast.” (Lorelai)
7. “I live in two worlds, one is a world of books.” (Rory)
8. “And if eating cake is wrong, I don’t want to be right.” (Lorelai)
9. “I want to live my life, so I can read an in-depth biography about myself in later years.” (Paris)
10. “The Long Island Ice Tea makes you do things you normally wouldn’t do.” (Lorelai)
11. “Coffee, please, and a shot of cynicism.” (Lorelai)
12. “You’ve got to be patient and wait for what you want to appear, then pounce.” (Michel)
13. “I am attracted to pie, but I do not feel the need to date pie.” (Lorelai)
14. “People can live a hundred years without really living for a minute.” (Logan)
Why Gilmore Girls is the Best Show on Television
Chances are, if you ask someone about their favorite television show, they will have a ready answer. For us, that show is Gilmore Girls. We can’t get enough of the fast-paced dialogue, the witty banter, and the lovable characters. If you’ve never seen Gilmore Girls, you’re in for a treat. Here’s why we think it’s the best television show.
Everything Happens for a Reason
In Gilmore Girls, everything happens for a reason. There are no random storylines or filler episodes; every scene furthers the story somehow. This is evident in the first episode, where we learn that Rory was accidentally conceived at a carnival. This one event sets up an entire series of events that play out throughout seven seasons.
The Characters are Lovable and Relatable
Another reason we love Gilmore Girls is because of the characters. They feel like real people, not just TV characters. You really grow to love them over time, and you feel invested in their lives. Even though the show is set in a picture-perfect Connecticut town, the characters are relatable and down-to-earth. They face many of the same struggles that we all face, such as family drama, relationship problems, and work stress.
The Writing is Witty and Clever
Finally, we love Gilmore Girls because of the writing. The dialogue is incredibly fast-paced, and there are pop culture references galore. The writers clearly have a lot of fun with the material, and it shows on screen. Every episode is jam-packed with clever one-liners and hilarious quips. If you’re looking for a show that will make you laugh loud, Gilmore Girls is definitely it! And seriously: even some of these Gilmore Girls quotes are making me laugh.
Hopefully, these Gilmore Girls quotes put you in the mood for a rewatch! Stayed tuned for more Gilmore-related posts, especially all about fashion!